The 63 delegates that ratified the GFWC Constitution on April 24, 1890 knew that organizing a federation of clubs would allow for a greater national impact. From initiating a letter-writing campaign that led to the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906, to establishing 75% of America’s public libraries, GFWC members have advocated for positive changes in their communities for the last 126 years. Since that very first Federation Day, combined efforts from clubs across the country have led to many things we take for granted today, such as the eight-hour workday, street lights, seatbelts, and so much more.
Locally the Brentwood Woman’s Club has had a major impact on the community. Our projects have included rehabbing a house for the first Brentwood Library, physically building the first Brentwood park, supporting our teachers and schools, promoting education, youth writing contests, cleaning litter from our Adopt-a-Mile on Murray Lane, establishing a butterfly garden at Owens’ Chapel on Franklin Road, holding candidate forums for the Brentwood City Commissioners elections, playing BINGO monthly with the residents of Grace Healthcare in Franklin (our longest running project), providing scholarships and an endowment for scholarships at Columbia State Community College for Williamson County female residents and many more in addition to raising funds for local charities.
Check out GFWC's history at http://www.gfwc.org/who-we-are/history-and-mission/
Check out a new video on GFWC.org on Sunday, April 24: bit.ly/1QnnvcI
GFWC and Brentwood Woman's Club: Living the Volunteer Spirit.